1927 - Capitol Radio Engineering Institute is founded as a correspondence school teaching vacuum-tube theory, the high technology of the time.
1932 - CREI opens a residence school in Washington, DC.
1946 - CREI becomes one of the first three technical institutes in the country accredited by the Engineers' Council for Professional Development.
1954 - The District of Columbia licenses CREI to confer the associate in applied science degree to graduates of its three-year, 160 quarter-credit-hour program. The new program retained ECPD accreditation.
1964 - Capitol Institute of Technology is created as a nonprofit college from the residence school of Capitol Radio Engineering Institute. CIT continues offering the 3-year associate in applied science degree program. The first off-campus program begins at the Naval Air Test Center in Patuxent River, Maryland.
1966 - The District of Columbia licenses CIT to award the bachelor of science in engineering technology to graduates. The degree is a four-year, 216 quarter-credit-hour program. The first class of four students graduates from this program.
1969 - CIT moves from Washington, DC, to a leased facility in Kensington, Maryland.
1970 - The Kensington campus opens in January with an enrollment of 215 students. The Engineers' Council for Professional Development gives accreditation to the the BS in engineering technology. The college becomes a candidate for accreditation by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.
1976 - CIT receives full accreditation by Middle States. The National Science Foundation awards the first in a series of grants for the purchase of instructional scientific equipment. The college realizes a need for permanent home for the institution and began searching for a new campus.
1981 - The long search for a new campus ends with the purchase of 52 acres in Laurel, Maryland. The state awards CIT a $1 million matching grant to help with the construction of the new campus. The U.S. Department of Education awards $75,000 to fund a long-range plan for the institution. A $35,000 donation given by the Homer and Martha Gudelsky Family Foundation establishes the first endowed scholarship.
1982 - The college receives a federal grant to expand the college's programs and a second federal grant establishes the cooperative education program.
1983 - The college moves from Kensington to the completed Laurel campus in September and enrollment increases 30 percent. New degrees are introduced: AA and BS degrees in computer engineering technology and telecommunications engineering technology. The cooperative education program begins and the federal grants are renewed.
1984 - Construction begins on the first phase of Telecommunications Hall. A turn-key central office switch, donated by MCI Corporation and valued at more than $1 million, is installed in the new building.
1985 - An associate of arts in optoelectronics engineering technology is introduced. Construction of Telecommunications Hall begins with help from a $1.5 million Maryland state grant. A minor in computer-aided design is introduced and the cooperative education program expands. The Decade of Growth Campaign exceeds its $3.5 million goal, which largely established numerous endowed scholarships. The college receives donations of state-of-the-art equipment and significant funds to help with construction costs.
1986 - Telecommunications Hall and the 340-seat Avrum Gudelsky Memorial Auditorium are completed.
1987 - The Board of Trustees approves a five-point plan under which the college changes its name from Capitol Institute of Technology to Capitol College. Other elements of the plan include developing new curricula in electrical engineering and management of telecommunications systems and technical communications; creating student housing on campus; and changing the academic calendar from a quarter system to a semester system.
1989 - Residence halls, consisting of six apartment-style buildings, are completed in January. The halls are named after inventors: Bell; DeForest, Edison, Franklin, Morse and Steinmetz.
1990 - The graduate school, established in August, offers the master of science in systems management.
1992 - Capitol College and NASA begin the NASA PREP college preparatory summer program in engineering for minority students.
1994 - The Distance Learning Center becomes operational, transmitting undergraduate courses via satellite to Hagerstown. A master's degree in information and telecommunications systems management is added to the graduate school.
1997 - The renovated John G. and Beverly A. Puente Library opens its doors. This state-of-the-art facility houses the William G. McGowan Center for Innovative Teaching. Capitol College offers its first courses over the Internet.
1998 - Three new BS degree programs are offered: computer engineering, software engineering, and software and Internet applications.
2001 - MS degree programs are introduced in information architecture and network security. The college launches a campaign to raise funds for the William G. McGowan Academic Center and Campus Development Plan.
2002 - The college experiences significant increases in online enrollments. The state of Maryland approves a $3 million grant for the construction of the McGowan Academic Center. BS and MS degrees in computer science are introduced for the fall semester. A NASA grant helps establish the Space Operations Institute; NASA Goddard Space Flight Center turns over control of three satellites to SOI.
2003 - The college introduces two more online degrees: an MS in electrical engineering and an MBA. The BS in astronautical engineering degree is introduced in the spring; the BS in network security begins in the fall. Capitol becomes an academic partner with the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, one of only eight partners at this time. NASA turns over control of a fourth satellite to SOI.
2004 - A BS in business administration is introduced. G. William Troxler retires in June after serving 27 years as president. Michael T. Wood is named the seventh president of the college.
2005 – The college dedicated the simple but dramatic structure, the William G. McGowan Academic Center, named for MCI founder and college benefactor William McGowan. The $7 million building houses the Space Operations classrooms, faculty offices, computer labs, conference rooms and areas for larger functions. Also during this year, the business programs were accredited by the International Assembly of College Business Education.
2006 – Capitol takes on a modernized logo, revamping the college’s brand and identity among its constituents. The Critical Infrastructure and Cyber Protection Center was created to provide the information assurance workforce with technical skills training, focused professional development, certifications in various specialty areas, and examination review opportunities.
2007 – Capitol College celebrated its 80th year of educating students in technology-related fields. The Innovation and Leadership Institute was established to train students to not only succeed in their respective industries, but to excel as leaders and innovators. Also during this year, the college agrees to provide members of the Maryland National Guard tuition discounts, building upon its “military-friendly” status.
2008 – Despite tough economic times, Capitol renewed its commitment to providing access to an affordable and practical education by freezing undergraduate tuition, lowering tuition for the undergraduate business program, and providing discounts for alumni and summer classes. A grant from the National Science Foundation provided funds for the establishment of the Capitol Scholars Program, and an MHEC grant helps establish STEM outreach programs. Course offerings are expanded at the Southern Maryland Higher Education Center to include MSIA, BSBA and MBA.
2010 – Capitol launches its first doctoral program. The doctorate in information assurance is offered almost exclusively online to students across the world, and is designed for professionals employed full-time that are seeking an education that will allow them to perform as senior leaders, program developers and policy makers in the IA field. Students attend three residencies at the Laurel campus throughout the program.
2012 – The college is named as a “Military Friendly School” for the fourth consecutive year by G.I. Jobs Magazine. The list honors the top 15 percent of colleges, universities and trade schools that are doing the most to embrace America’s military service members, veterans, and spouses as students and ensure their success on campus. Capitol’s dedication to providing a quality education to military members makes it a regular member of the coveted list.